Sunday, October 17, 2010

Perks of the job

One of the unique features of working in this city is the very real possibility that you can run into very important people in the hallways of your workplace. On Friday, I stepped into the lift with a couple of work colleagues,  descended 3 floors, and the doors opened to the Peter Garrett, the head of the department and a couple of advisors. In this microcosm of the world - you dont get much more important people.

But Peter Garrett is a pretty cool guy. He shook our hands and asked our names. One of my colleagues commented that his wife would love it, as she is a huge fan.

Now, I have a bad habit of finding something funny to say at pretty much every opportunity, and at that moment it seemed perfect to make that old joke 'I'm never going to wash this hand'. At which (after an awkward moment of silence) Peter Garrett laughed and responded with 'No, I'm never going to wash mine either'.

It is one of the things I love about this country - that slightly irreverent sense of humour that makes it ok to have a joke with anyone - in good taste of course.

1 comment: