Monday, November 22, 2010

Recovery

Last week I was reasonably unwell. I received a whiplash injury a couple of years ago and my neck now has a mind of its own. It periodically decides that it doesn't like me and causes nausea, migraines, other headaches and general discomfort and pain. For most of last week I had a mild urge to vomit and a more or less constant pain traveling from the base of my skull to behind my right eye.

On Tuesday I had a full blow migraine - waking at 4 in the morning to intense pain and the desire to hurl all over the sheets. I managed to scoff a couple of codeine tablets and lapse into unconsciousness until morning when I could force some food down in order to take the real drugs - the ones that actually work. After a day in bed, I managed to make it to work on Wednesday, but a lot of people noticed I didn't look too good. In fact I'm fairly sure a few people thought I was hung over. The sad thing is, that the day or so after a migraine it does feel rather like a hang over - only you dont get the fun night out.

But people who dont suffer from migraines, and have never seen anyone really suffering from one, have no idea just how awful it is. To so many people, its just a headache, get over it, and get back to work.

I'm finally feeling like I have recovered. Last night I finally had a good night's sleep. I woke this morning with my neck feeling almost normal, no headache, not longer feeling slightly hung over and actually ready to take on the world.

To all those out there who dont get migraines. Be kind to those who do - in fact, go and drink a couple of bottles of vodka, and when you wake up tomorrow with a blinding headache, can't stand the light or loud noises and cant hold down your breakfast, think about the poor soul with the migraine who didn't get to drink the vodka!

4 comments:

  1. There's something about non-disfiguring diseases that people just don't get ("you look fine").

    Louise Curtis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mum suffers from migraines, or she used to. I consider myself very fortunate that I do not! I'm glad to hear your feeling better now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually just stumbled on to your blog from a comment you made on Captain Capitalism. Just wanted to share that migraines are right up there with labor contractions. In my book. I hope that you never ever have another. If that doesn't work you have me deepest heartfelt sympathy from one migraine sufferer to another. And yeah I never thought of the party angle before. I didn't even get to drink at all. Okay I have never drank but still?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Migraines are sadly a semi-regular feature of my life, but thanks for your sympathy all.

    ReplyDelete