Friday, September 10, 2010

Holidays...... They just rock!

This afternoon is officially the start of my holiday. I will be starting the trek up to Brisbane on Monday morning, probably before the sun bothers to get out of bed. But this weekend is a family affair. There is some boring stuff, a bit of housework, a lot of packing but an evening with the folks and a special birthday on Sunday for a sibling.

I am almost looking forward to it. Almost because there will also be a large number of people I dont know involved, and I really dont like large groups of people. Let alone people I dont know. I imagine I will find myself hiding in a corner somewhere having cornered the few people I do know and stuck limpet-like to them.

But it is Monday that draws my attention right now. That lovely feeling of anticipation that settles on you when the first steps of escape are in reach. I am driving, which means a minimum of about 16 hours in the car each way. By myself. Me, my iPod and rather a lot of road. I like road trips. I like stopping somewhere random when the mood takes you for a pie from an obscure pie shop. (Has anyone else noticed that obscure pie shops in obscure country towns make much more exciting and delicious pastry delights than any gourmet shop in the city?) I like deciding to stop in somewhere for a nap in the afternoon. Just pick a shady pull-off, lock the doors and put the seat back. Stop for the night at whatever little town with nice looking motel takes your fancy.

But the real key to this one is that at the end of it is a good friends wedding. A crowd of country people gathering for a good party. I haven't been to a good country party in years.

2 comments:

  1. There shall be mutual limpetting at the party, I believe.

    Louise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Limpetting was indeed mutual!!! Nice to see you Louise :-)

    ReplyDelete